[Gllug] Maybe a BBC iPlayer for Linux after all

John G Walker johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Jul 25 13:25:18 UTC 2007

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 14:19:51 +0100 Richard Huxton <dev at archonet.com>
wrote:

> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/25/bbc_iplayer_linux_macosx/
>
> "It was a condition of approval for the BBC's on-demand services that
> platform neutrality be achieved within a reasonable period."
>
> It's almost like they're acting in the public's interest or
> something. My cynicism is going to have a quiet lie down for the
> afternoon - it's having a bad day.

if you want an excuse to be cynical, you could contemplate the last
sentence in this paragraph:

OSC president Mark Taylor told The Register: "We are very pleased with
what was a very positive meeting. The trust was keen to remind us of
the BBC's commitment to platform neutrality in general and its
commitment to making the iPlayer equally platform neutral. But they
were unable to explain how this was going to happen."

There's always the possibility that the platform-neutral iPlayer will
be the twenty-first century equivalent of Billy Bunter's postal order -
always about to arrive, but never does.

We used to call this vapourware. Does anyone use this term any more?

--
 All the best,
 John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk