[Gllug] Microsoft was distributing Ubuntu

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sun Jul 1 14:45:30 UTC 2007

On Sun, Jul 01, 2007 at 01:20:03PM +0100, Alex Smith wrote:
> >> Yes its better but not wonderful yet. Every version of Ubuntu is better
> >> but it still will not do duel screen and work with every every single
> >> wireless card out of the box like windows!
> >
> >Windows doesn't work with every wireless card out of the box.
>
> Far from it, not a single wireless card in my house works* with windows out
> of the box. Maybe I'm just unlucky :/

At my last place I was loaned a WinXP box so I could do some IE7
testing.

Brought it home and tried to get it on my home wireless network, which
requires a long, randomly generated key.

I had to type the key in ... twice ... in one of those '****' password
fields where you can't read what you're typing.  If you got the key
wrong or didn't type exactly the same key twice, it reset both fields!

After about 10 minutes and me nearly throwing the machine across the
room, I ended up plugging it directly into the ethernet port instead.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat