[Gllug] [OT] ripping us off with our data

Don Williams don at rose963.demon.co.uk
Sat Jul 28 09:52:08 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-07-27 at 23:11 +0100, John Southern wrote:

> On the topic of freedom of the National Archives, you will find that the
> digital data seems to be owned by either S&N or SteppingStones (actually just
> been bought by S&N). They have paid for the digital scans and so copyright is
> theirs. Their disks are in PDF format, but the transcribed indexes which you
> can search for are done by people who have bought the disks, but the
> copyright is with S&N.
> IANAL, but it does look as though a national resource is now owned by a
> company!
>
> Looking at the pdf of the Philimores Cornish registers, each page appears to
> be made up of alternative thin stripes, so copying text is harder than it
> should be.
>
> Both Ancestry and FindMyPast are free to access if you use the machines at the
> National Archives at Kew.
>
> John

My hearty thanks John for this excellent gallimaufry - I think you have
enabled hours of less expensive research for me. I am currently
"peopling" my edition of Gramps, from memory and contacts - "making my
bed."
	More broadly, I find a continuous redefinition of word meanings a
whimsical side-line ...
	My thanks go also to GLLUG and all who sail in her.
	Cheers, Don Williams

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk