[Gllug] cheap disk source

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Wed Jul 25 07:03:24 UTC 2007

tid wrote:
> I may be teaching my grandmother to suck eggs here, but why not factor
> in the price of
> a spare PSU/RAID controller & disk at the same time. This is borne out
> of a number of
> experiences where management thought that RAID=100%uptime.

If you want high uptime you should not be using internal disks.
Spec an external RAID array with N+1 hot swap power supplies, and two
controllers.

If you want more concerned about uptime, spec dual fibre channel HBAs in
your servers and use multipathing. Our current RAID arrays also support
multipathing over SAS, which is probably more sensible for a single server.

And while you're on the uptime question, buy two of those servers and
cluster them with HA software.

--
      John Hearns
      Senior HPC Engineer