[Gllug] ADSL Puzzle

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Fri Jul 6 10:03:58 UTC 2007

On Fri, 6 Jul 2007, Ken Smith wrote:

> Is there a failure mode where the link level ATM side of things can be
> working but the ATM traffic is lost? I'm not sure how this works, but is
> it the DSLAM that terminates the the link layer at the end of the sub's
> line and strips off the ATM packets, deals with the PPP authentication
> (<--or does something else do this bit) and routes the traffic to the
> correct ISP? I seem to recall that there is another step in there - but
> anyway - is there a failure mode in BT/ISP's kit that can give these
> symptoms -> Link level established but no trace of authentication
> happening?

It is possible for the DSLAM at the exchange to develop a fault or to be
poorly configured, perhaps as the result of a mistake by an engineer,
which could cause this.

It doesn't happen often but it certainly can. You need your ISP to raise
the matter as a fault with BT.

BT may insist upon sending out an engineer to verify that it's not a
problem between the keboard and chair at your end so make sure you are
certain that it's not your router at fault.

Jason
--
UKFSN.ORG		     Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/	       up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk