[Gllug] Microsoft was distributing Ubuntu

Christopher Currie ccurrie at usa.net
Sun Jul 1 17:06:23 UTC 2007

On  Sat, 30 Jun 2007 19:38:22 +0100
John G Walker <johngwalker at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> <peterachilds at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hmm Have not really used Impress but I will take a better look at it.
> > It suffers from the bloat that is OO though
>
> And this is different to the bloat that is PowerPoint?
>
> More seriously, it runs on Linux and can display a PowerPoint
> presentation. It can also create a presentation that can be displayed
> on PowerPoint. What more would a simple lecturer (like me) want or need?

I find the easiest thing is to write the presentation under Impress and to
display it using the M$ PowerPoint viewer, which is free (at least in the 97
version), and much less bulky than the full presentation software.

But perhaps different versions of PowerPoint are now producing the usual M$
file-incompatible stuff.

If giving a presentation at someone's place, I take

-my own laptop in case theirs doesn't work, with Impress, Wine (usually
CrossOver), and PP Viewer on it

-a Windows-readable stick with the presentation and the M$ PP viewer on it

-a CD with ditto.

In my experience of watching other ppl's presentations the main cause of
problems is not the presentation software but the cable link between the
computer and the projector, and, no doubt, the OS (usually Windows).

Another problem is that the hosts or support staff often insist on placing the
laptop where the lecturer can't see it (defeating one of the main advantages
of PC presentations vis-a-vis traditional slides, OHP etc., which is that the
lecturer can see exactly what's on the public screen without having to turn
to look at it).

all  best

Christopher
Christopher Currie	ccurrie at usa.net