[Gllug] nfs, mozilla and file locking

Nick Warrington nick at littleidea.co.uk
Wed Jul 25 20:41:54 UTC 2007

Richard Jones wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 11:47:49PM +0100, Nick Warrington wrote:
>
>> I'm having a bit of trouble with unbelievably slow startup of firefox
>> and thunderbird. If I run them as root, they start quickly. However my
>> /home is mounted on a NFS volume on a different machine and If I try and
>> start them as a normal user the startup is painful (>1min). This all
>> used to be fine some months ago.
>>

> They take a good 30 seconds to start for me from a local /home, and
> combining that with NFS, I'm not surprised at all.
>
> Rich.

Thanks all for responding. I have been tinkering some more. It seems
that if I add a nolock option on the nfs mount line in fstab and
remount, the problem disappears. (FireFox starts in about 9-10 secs). So
I'm now convinced it's a file locking problem.

Thing is, the nolock option sounds like a recipe for file corruption.

Thoughts anyone?

Nick
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk