[Gllug] Microsoft was distributing Ubuntu

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Jul 1 01:07:51 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-06-30 at 13:28 +0100, Tethys wrote:
> --------
>
> Christopher Hunter writes:
>
> >> 2. Presentation Software. (nothing competes with Powerpoint
> >> unfortunately)
> >
> >The "flakiness" factor in Powerpoint makes it mostly unusable in
> >reality.
>
> Wow. It's amazing how distorted a view of the world you can have
> when you're cloistered in a small community. Powerpoint may have
> its faults, but to claim its unusable it just laughable, given
> the millions around the world that use it on a daily basis.

I didn't say it was unusable - it's just that its users tend to produce
repetitive, unimaginative presentations that could be better shown by a
few slides and an effective talk.

Senior managers of my acquaintance usually refuse to watch Powerpoint
presentations, and prefer a written report (this was one of the topics
of discussion at a lunchtime meeting I attended today!).  They see it as
a hindrance rather than an aid to good communication.

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk