[Gllug] DNS & VPN

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Wed Jun 20 22:26:12 UTC 2007

On Wed 20 Jun, Alain Williams wrote:

> The internal office addresses are 192.168.XX.XX Part of setting up the VPN connection
> is to push a routing command to the home PC to 192.168.0.254 which is the one address
> that they need to access over the VPN and for which I would like to give a name.
>
> The VPN (and routing, etc) all works. The question is how to name 192.168.0.254.

   I would expect a VPN to be from a fixed IP address to guard against
spoofing. If it is to a destination behind NAT or masquerading, then there
must be some kind of re-routing operation as 192.168.x.x/16 addresses are
not routable. You may be able to provide access to the destination
"boxname.fully_qualified_domain_name" but I would expect to use secure
authorisation and encryption (kerberos?).

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk