[Gllug] Monotonic increase in "committed" memory - what does it mean?

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Fri Jun 29 08:25:32 UTC 2007

I've noticed on my MythTV server that the figure shown by munin for
"committed" memory increases monotonically for as long as MythTV is
running, although there doesn't seem to be any increase in actual memory
use - it doesn't swap or anything like that.

A graph of this can be seen here:

http://munin.sinodun.org.uk/sinodun.org.uk/gandalf.sinodun.org.uk-memory.html

You'll see I've stopped and re-started MythTV this morning which
produces a sudden decrease in the "committed" line.  What is meant by
"committed" memory and how could a program cause it to keep going up
like this?  It doesn't seem to be a normal memory leak because that
would surely cause an increase in actual memory use, rather than this
sort of theoretical increase.

TIA,
John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk