[Gllug] London laptop recommendations

Chris Jones cmsj at tenshu.net
Wed Jun 6 11:40:46 UTC 2007

Hi

Jason Clifford wrote:
> My experience is that it is only wireless hardware that I experience this
> with.

It's exclusively desktop class hardware and there is less traction for
getting vendors to care about desktop linux than other forms. Also
wireless hardware changes quite frequently, which makes supporting all
forms of an undocumented chipset very hard.

Now that the OEMs are starting to show some interest they will start
pressuring chipset vendors in the same ways they have done with server
hardware previously (ie it's nigh-on impossible to buy a major-OEM
server these days that isn't supported by Linux).

Cheers,
--
Chris Jones
  cmsj at tenshu.net