[Gllug] ext3 filesystem suddenly full

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Fri Jun 22 16:00:54 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 04:46:06PM +0100, john at sinodun.org.uk wrote:

> You could even have a desktop utility for naive users which pops up when a
> partition is approaching its limit and offers to help.
>
>             =================================================
>             |                                               |
>             |   Your /home partition is 90% full, but you   |
>             |   have spare space on your system which       |
>             |   could be allocated to it.  Would you        |
>             |   like to increase its size now?              |
>             |                                               |
>             |       Abort      Retry      Ignore            |
>             |                                               |
>             =================================================

Nice -- but they will just hit the 'do it' button without any attempt
to try to work out why it has gone full. A few months later they will
be in much the same position.

What is really needed is a lot of s/ware to look at what is happening
on the system and point out to users (in language that they can understand)
that there will be a problem unless XX is done. This would be a lot of work.
Recent Linux distros are quite good at looking after themselves - compared
to what used to happen, but still more needed.

I agree with earlier comments about the suckiness of distros making one
big partition (OK: most create a separate /boot - but that is for different reasons).
I always separate out / /usr /boot /var /tmp /home. With the large disks that
we have these days, the slighly larger footprint doesn't matter and a LVM
lets you expand the bits that you didn't esimate right.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk