[Gllug] ext3 filesystem suddenly full

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Fri Jun 22 16:44:52 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 05:36:52PM +0100, Chris Jones wrote:

> Why not "You are 90% full, please remove files (click here for a tool to
> help you) or install additional disks". LVM means a user could easily
> drop in a disk and add it to their system (although you still have the
> scary fs resizing. Roll on extent based fs')

But it works ... it is only scary because it is not an everyday task.
I have recently extended reiser and ext3 file systems - the ext3
one on-the-fly since the job running was creating vastly more files
than I thought it would (50GB to 90GB to 140GB). Just a slight shame that
I could not reduce the ext3 file system size without unmounting it.

Oh: another reason for keeping / (and perhaps /usr) as separate from other
file systems (especially /tmp) is that if the system dies: a quiescent
file system is far more likely to survive w/out any issue -- /tmp & /var
tend to be active, so keep them away from my RFS - if all else fails I want
to be able to get in single user!

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/