[Gllug] ext3 filesystem suddenly full

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri Jun 22 19:43:25 UTC 2007

On 22 Jun 2007, tethys at gmail.com said:

> On 6/22/07, Geo <caparo.g at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  A rule of thumb used to be 70Mb for /, split the rest of the disk /etc = 25%
>> and divide the rest betwen /var & /home and pref /home on a second disc.
>
> You appear to be advocating putting /etc on a separate filesystem,
> which is sheer lunacy. Without /etc mounted, how is the boot process
> supposed to find /etc/fstab to know that it needs to mount /etc?

> Unless you have a second /etc/fstab (and any other files that might be
> needed early in the boot process) on your root filesystem as well, but
> then you're screwed if you need to modify it once /etc is mounted over
> the top of it. Bind mounting your root fs elsewhere, would let you get
> at it, I suppose, but that's icky.

You could do

mount /dev/my-new-etc /new-etc
mount --move /etc /etc/boot
mount --move /new-etc /etc

and copy /etc/fstab into /etc/boot/fstab at shutdown time, but that's
insane and fragile.

(Thankfully very soon /etc/mtab maintenance will be irrelevant as finally
we're getting toward a state where it can just be turned into a symlink
to /proc/mounts without losing major features.)

> I'd also put /usr on a separate filesystem. That way you can mount it readonly.

... or mount it over the network when you lose half your disks in an
unfortunate three-year-old accident.

--
`... in the sense that dragons logically follow evolution so they would
 be able to wield metal.' --- Kenneth Eng's colourless green ideas sleep
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk