[Gllug] DNS & VPN

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Fri Jun 22 11:32:19 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jun 22, 2007 at 09:14:23AM +0100, Russell wrote:

> What the OP is looking for is, I think, commonly called "split horizon
> DNS". Some commercial IPsec clients might do it, commercial routers tend
> to do it, and perhaps OpenVPN's client can do it. I've never used
> OpenVPN, but it sounds like the kind of thing that it may well do.

It does have an option to push some settings, DHCP-style, to a
connecting client.  I think the windows client would simply replace the
existing dns settings with the pushed settings for the duration of the
connection; *nix clients will do nothing with the information unless you
add a custom script to process them, requiring more work but offering
much more flexibility, particularly if the client system is running
something like dnsmasq.

--
Bruce

What would Edward Woodward do?