[Gllug] Microsoft was distributing Ubuntu

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Tue Jun 26 23:27:41 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 08:09:48PM +0000, Chris wrote:
> On Mon 25 Jun, Bruce Richardson wrote:
>
> > SQL Server.  Postgres and Mysql are not good alternatives to SQL Server,
> > Oracle and the other high-end databases, just cheap ones.
> >

> > --
> > Bruce
>
>    I have not configured any SQL database, so my knowledge is based on what
> I have read and what others have said. I was under the impression that
> Postgres was better than Mysql, and now about comparable with the high-end
> commercial databases, perhaps better in some respects but not as good in
> others. What is the real position? Are the main differences due to features,
> pure grunt, or difficulties in use such as upgrading? Are the Open Source
> databases continually playing catch-up with new features?

Postgresql is nowhere near comparable with the big commercial databases;
It doesn't even have native support for replication, which is nearly a
big a sin as MySQL not having had native support for transactions.

--
Bruce

Hierophant: someone who remembers, when you are on the way down,
everything you did to them on the way up.