[Gllug] Microsoft was distributing Ubuntu

Richard Huxton dev at archonet.com
Tue Jun 26 20:26:39 UTC 2007

Chris Bell wrote:
> On Mon 25 Jun, Bruce Richardson wrote:
>
>> SQL Server.  Postgres and Mysql are not good alternatives to SQL Server,
>> Oracle and the other high-end databases, just cheap ones.

>    I have not configured any SQL database, so my knowledge is based on what
> I have read and what others have said. I was under the impression that
> Postgres was better than Mysql, and now about comparable with the high-end
> commercial databases, perhaps better in some respects but not as good in
> others. What is the real position? Are the main differences due to features,
> pure grunt, or difficulties in use such as upgrading? Are the Open Source
> databases continually playing catch-up with new features?

I do configure SQL databases, and it all depends what you're after. The
main advantage MS-SQL has always had is good integration with the rest
of the MS stack. If you're using .NET to connect your Vista-only IE7
plugin to a Sharepoint-generated set of MS-Office document fragments
there's only one vendor you're after.

If you need specific application support, or some of the BI plugins from
the big vendors then the open-source alternatives can lag.

In terms of actually storing/retrieving data PG is being used to replace
all of the major players (mostly Oracle it would seem from the lists).
Can't comment on MySQL's customer base, but the basic
storage/retrieval/searching is becoming a commodity and for most small
businesses the open-source systems are more than capable.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk