[Gllug] London laptop recommendations

Chris Jones cmsj at tenshu.net
Wed Jun 6 23:21:05 UTC 2007

Hi

Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> by how much of an Intel supporter I've become recently :-/ - but as long
> as they keep developing and supporting free drivers for their hardware,
> they'll get my cash for it.

Which is exactly why I ditched the stupid Atheros from my X40 and bought
an ipw2200 ;)

One entirely Freely supported machine.

I replaced my desktop recently too and went with pretty much all Intel
apart from the motherboard has a stupid realtek networkcard which locks
up, so I dropped in a trusty old Intel card supported perfectly by the
kernel. The only non-Free thing in that is an nvidia card, which is
supported pretty damn well by their unfortunately closed source driver.
Once nouveau is better than nv I will certainly try it with the aim of
switching to it asap.

Cheers,
--
Chris Jones