[Gllug] strange cp error

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Jun 6 18:54:38 UTC 2007

On 6 Jun 2007, Martin A. Brooks outgrape:

> salsaman at xs4all.nl wrote:
>> I`m setting up a new machine, and just got a strange error which I`ve
>> never seen before:
>>
>> [root at localhost lives]# /bin/cp ./foo /usr/bin
>> cp: setting attributes for `/usr/bin/foo': Operation not supported
>>
>> What is causing this, and how do I stop it from happening ?
>
> You might get this when, for example, copying a file marked as
> executable to a partition mounted with the "noexec" flag.

OK, um, why on earth would you ever mount /usr/bin noexec?

(It's probably setxattr() that's failing: strace will tell you for sure.
To fix, mount the filesystem /usr/bin is on with the user_xattr option
(I think that's how it's spelled).

--
`On a scale of one to ten of usefulness, BBC BASIC was several points ahead
 of the competition, scoring a relatively respectable zero.' --- Peter Corlett
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk