[Gllug] London laptop recommendations

Richard Huxton dev at archonet.com
Wed Jun 6 10:02:31 UTC 2007

Jason Clifford wrote:
> I bought a couple of PCI wireless cards last week and both are supported
> by the bcm34xx driver in the kernel (once you obtain and install the
> firmware) however the sad fact is that using that driver is not very
> practicle as the driver falls over under the slightest load.
>
> In order to get a reliable connection I had to install ndiswrapper and use
> the windows drivers.

I ended up doing the same with my Dell Inspiron 1300. Wireless would
work OK during setup and for a few pings. As soon as signal level
dropped or activity increased it would collapse.

> My experience is that it is only wireless hardware that I experience this
> with.

Can't get my external monitor to work at 1280x1024 with the laptop (i810
driver). It'll dual-screen with the internal at 1280x800 and external at
1024x768 but won't go higher. I can do it with XP, but who wants to?

Oh, and I can't get sleep-to-X to reliably work. Don't need it enough to
  spend long with though.

Otherwise, everything just works out of the box (and this is a stock
Debian too, not one of your fancy -buntu distros).

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk