[Gllug] ubuntu +1

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Tue Jun 19 11:32:34 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 10:31:44AM +0100, Martin A. Brooks wrote:

> Last night I attempted to install Ubuntu 7.04 on an Acer Ferrari 4000
> series laptop.  This laptop has lots and lots of whacky hardware in that
> has thwarted many a Linux installer in the past.
>
> Ubuntu got it all right first time in about 3 clicks.  Wireless, 3D,
> bluetooth, my odd USB gaming mouse, the lot.
>
> I'm very impressed.

Have to ask how tainted is your kernel after this.

If you have Intel wireless & 3D then you should be OK (can't comment
on bluetooth or the USB mouse, but I think that's pretty standardised
too).  On the other hand, if it's just installed the NVidia driver, or
worse still the ATI driver, and ndiswrapper around some proprietary
wireless driver, then you may be in trouble down the road if those
closed-source vendors decide not to support you.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat