[Gllug] Recommendations please for FAST Remote X Window desktop on Windows: CONCLUSIONS

James Roberts jr at stabilys.com
Tue Jun 5 08:38:34 UTC 2007

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I am currently happily using the very rapid Free NXServer on Debian Etch.

The reason I could not originally get it working was a 'duh' moment.

For those interested, there's a brief anti-duh howto for Etch at

http://www.linux-tip.net/cms/content/view/298/26/

- which gave me the appropriate kick.

So overall I have found two solutions that work for my needs:

1. The Free Nonmachine NX server for a rapid full desktop
2. Xming with XLaunch for application windows.

I have little doubt the FreeNX server would also work well but have not
needed to try it yet.

JR

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk