[Gllug] ubuntu +1

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Tue Jun 19 12:02:17 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 01:16:17PM +0100, - Tethys wrote:
> On 6/19/07, Richard Jones <rich at annexia.org> wrote:
>
> > On the other hand, if it's just installed the NVidia driver, or
> > worse still the ATI driver
>
> Just curious... what makes the ATI driver worse? I won't have either
> on my boxen for the obvious reasons, so as far as I was concerned,
> they were each as bad as the other.

Well both ATI and NVIDIA are unfriendly towards open source. While
NVIDIA simply doesn't assist development, ATI is actively blocking
release of 300 lines of code which would make 'radeon' driver 'just
work' with all curent ATI cards.

At least with NVIDIA the Nouveau project is very quickly developing
a viable alternative to the closed source driver. Until about 5
days ago there was no such option for modern ATI cards. Fortuantely
there is now work on the brand new 'avivo' driver to support the
latest generation ATI cards. And as a nice 'screw you' to ATI this
new driver is under the GPL rather than X11/MIT style license.

Dan.