[Gllug] Microsoft was distributing Ubuntu

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 26 20:09:48 UTC 2007

On Mon 25 Jun, Bruce Richardson wrote:

> SQL Server.  Postgres and Mysql are not good alternatives to SQL Server,
> Oracle and the other high-end databases, just cheap ones.
>

> --
> Bruce

   I have not configured any SQL database, so my knowledge is based on what
I have read and what others have said. I was under the impression that
Postgres was better than Mysql, and now about comparable with the high-end
commercial databases, perhaps better in some respects but not as good in
others. What is the real position? Are the main differences due to features,
pure grunt, or difficulties in use such as upgrading? Are the Open Source
databases continually playing catch-up with new features?

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk