[Gllug] London laptop recommendations

Nik Clayton nik at ngo.org.uk
Mon Jun 4 16:00:37 UTC 2007

Hi all

[ not subscribed, I'd appreciate a cc: on replies ]

Can anyone recommend a laptop for running Kubuntu that'll be easy to
obtain in London, *or*, a store in London that'll be happy if I turn up
with a Kubuntu live CD and try and use it on their display models?

I'm after a laptop with:

* A display resolution of at least 1024x768
* Battery life > 3 hours
* Working suspend to RAM
* Suspend to disk would be nice
* Processor speed of 1.7GHz or greater
* Not much heavier than 2.5Kg (5.7lbs)
* Bonus points if it supports a docking station, so I'm not
   repeatedly plugging/unplugging power cables every morning
* Trackpad (I don't get on with nipple mice)

My last laptop with an IBM T42, on which I ran FreeBSD + KDE.  It was a
lovely combination, but it had to go back when I changed jobs.

Thanks for any pointers.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk