[Gllug] London laptop recommendations

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 09:41:02 UTC 2007

On 04/06/07, Mike Brodbelt <mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Nik Clayton wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > [ not subscribed, I'd appreciate a cc: on replies ]
> >
> > Can anyone recommend a laptop for running Kubuntu that'll be easy to
> > obtain in London, *or*, a store in London that'll be happy if I turn up
> > with a Kubuntu live CD and try and use it on their display models?
> >
> > I'm after a laptop with:
> >
> > * A display resolution of at least 1024x768
> > * Battery life > 3 hours
> > * Working suspend to RAM
> > * Suspend to disk would be nice
> > * Processor speed of 1.7GHz or greater
> > * Not much heavier than 2.5Kg (5.7lbs)
> > * Bonus points if it supports a docking station, so I'm not
> >    repeatedly plugging/unplugging power cables every morning
> > * Trackpad (I don't get on with nipple mice)
>
> Thinkpad X60/X61 should cover all those except the trackpad, I think. My
>   X40 certainly does, and I'm pretty sure the X60/X61 has support that's
> as good. They also have Intel graphics and Intel wireless if you get the
> right model, so no messing around with binary only drivers.

I've been looking at Laptops too, I've been looking at Novatech, Revo Max,
does anyone have any experience of if and how well this works with Linux,
I've been recommended it by someone who uses windows. I've also never done
wifi under linux so I guess I'm going to need to find the how to... I've
also had quite good experiences of Novatech in the past.

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/nbrange.html?RVM

Peter.