[Gllug] ext3 filesystem suddenly full

Chris Jones cmsj at tenshu.net
Fri Jun 22 16:36:52 UTC 2007

Hi

john at sinodun.org.uk wrote:
> the average installer by default will still allocate *all* the disc space
> to partitions, regardless of how much there is.

Isn't that what you'd expect it to do? People are going to be a little
bit surprised if their 120GB machine is "missing" 60GB.

>             |   could be allocated to it.  Would you        |
>             |   like to increase its size now?              |

I will translate that question into "Would you like to start a very
delicate filesystem resize? You may lose 100% of your data". Also you'd
want to push them to do a backup, etc.

Why not "You are 90% full, please remove files (click here for a tool to
help you) or install additional disks". LVM means a user could easily
drop in a disk and add it to their system (although you still have the
scary fs resizing. Roll on extent based fs')

Cheers,
--
Chris Jones
  cmsj at tenshu.net