[Gllug] SIP conference

Matthew King matthew.king at monnsta.net
Mon Mar 5 21:57:43 UTC 2007

Mike Brodbelt <mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk> writes:

>> SIP ain't going to win against Skype while SIP remains so incredibly
>> obtuse to configure and use.
>
> I disagree - there are basically no significant businesses out there
> that would move to a VoIP system based on Skype. There are many who have
> and are moving to SIP-centric systems. Skype wins in a single user
> residential environment, where ease of setup is everything, and where it
> can take advantage of the fact that enough people have spare cycles and
> bandwidth to run supernodes without the user even realising. For every
> other conceivable use, SIP is better.

I disagree, slightly. I have seen businesses which do use Skype.

Admittedly they are far from significant and, although used for business
purposes, Skype was basically chosen for the reasons you specify.

SIP would be better for all of them, but Skype comes in such a shiny box!

Matthew

--
I must take issue with the term "a mere child", for it has been my
invariable experience that the company of a mere child is infinitely