[Gllug] Fedora/Dell Clock Problems

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Sat Mar 31 21:52:12 UTC 2007

On Sat, Mar 31, 2007 at 12:30:11PM +0100, Geo wrote:
> On Friday 30 March 2007 15:39, Dr David Reed wrote:
> > Of the reference sites that NTP uses, is one more reliably open than the
> > others? I have tried several but I never seem to able to find one that
> > responds to the daemon. It always seems to time out, as it were.
>
> Hi.
> Our firewall use pool.ntp.org and has always proven reliablee

pool.ntp.org is great but if using it I would recommend to use MANY
of its servers, preferably in combination with any servers your
upstream may supply.  Servers in pool.ntp.org are run by volunteers
and I have sene them occasionally be insane for a short while before
the pool's monitoring detects that and throws them out.

Also ntpd sticks with the servers it was given when it started so
servers being added or dropped from the pool won't change matters.
It does however have its own scoring mechanisms to drop false
tickers hence I say use more servers.

Cheers,
Andy

Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB