[Gllug] Debian startup etc

john gennard joney at clara.co.uk
Tue Mar 13 17:11:37 UTC 2007

As an interest, I'm trying to understand how the Debian
startup works. The overall idea is starting to come into
focus, but I'm floored by the following:-

a. /etc/initab (after setting the default run level) says:-
#this is run first etc.... etc
si::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rcS.

b. but, /etc/init.d/rcS says:-
#call all scripts in /etc/rcS.d in numerical/alphabetical order
exec /etc/init.d/rc S

c. if I understand correctly, /etc/rcS.d IS run next. How does
the command at b. above make this happen? And, why does b.
have a space in /rc-S?

Am I being stupid (quite likely!) or is there some intermediate
step I can't see?

John.