[Gllug] Fileserver hardware advice

Thomi Richards thomir at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 19:28:57 UTC 2007

Hi List,

I'm about to build a new fileserver to replace the one I had to leave behind
in my worldly adventures, and I was hoping to get some advice from the list
(I am by no means a hardware guru).

First, here's the outline:

I plan to have roughly 400GB of free space to start with, but add disks as I
need them. I was thinking of using EVMS for that. I want to 'export' this
space using both NFS and SMB network protocols to an internal network (only).

I have a few specific questions:

1) I have a few old 200GB PATA disks lieing around that I want to use. What
kind of performance can I expect from a PATA disk compared to a SATA one?
Assuming both disks have similar cache sizes, does it hold true that SATA
disks are always faster / better than PATA ones?

1a) Will using a mix of PATA and SATA in an EVMS 'cluster' (or whatever the
right EVMS terminology is) degrade performance?

2) Assuming I use NFS to access the files on the share, how much difference
will using a 1Gbps network between client and server make, compared to a
100Mbps network? I'm trying to work out if I'll need to buy a 1Gbps network
card for my laptop (sounds expensive). I assume that accessing large files
over NFS will max out any connection.. is that correct?

3) As I understand it, neither NFS nor SMB do any kind of computationally
heavy encryption, so I guess the machine specs realy don't need to be that
beefy - can anyone recommend values int he right ballpark for CPU / RAM
allocations?

4) Finally, how much difference will having a 64 bit CPU make when it comes to
performance?

Can anyone offer me some advice on this topic? It's been a while since I've
had cause to build a PC from parts, and I'd like to do it correctly the first
time...

Thanks in advance!
--
Thomi Richards