[Gllug] Calculating 'real' bandwidth

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Tue Mar 13 14:59:18 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 13 March 2007, Jason Clifford wrote:

> The maximum sync rate is 8128kb/s. This however is the ATM rate and not
> the usable rate which is about 12.5% lower at 7.1Mb - this is the maximum
> IP rate and you then need to allow a little more overhead

Am I right in assuming they are binary kb/s and Mb, rather than decimal? I can
work out the IP overhead, and then just round it down a bit - that should
satisfy him. He'll at least have a number in his head. Of course, he still
doesn't quite understand that the actual speed at any moment is highly
variable.

> for specific
> protocols being used before you can get an accurate maximum data
> throughput rate and that is dependant upon which protocol.

Trying to explain that to him would be like explaining quantum mechanics to a
puppy, unfortunately. ;)

Thanks for the figures above tho, they will help a lot.

Dylan