[Gllug] Linux invalidates your HP warranty

Bernard Peek bap at shrdlu.com
Fri Mar 30 11:34:32 UTC 2007

In message <Pine.LNX.4.44.0703281745130.10598-100000 at lucy.ukfsn.org>,
Jason Clifford <jason at ukfsn.org> writes
>On Wed, 28 Mar 2007, Geo wrote:
>
>Short summary: HP have claimed that installing Linux on a server means
>they don't have to honour the hardware warranty.

That's not an accurate summary. It appears that they won't investigate
hardware problems while Linux is installed, and that's quite
understandable. What I would expect them to do is to wipe the disk and
restore it to the as-delivered state so that they can eliminate software
issues. This is why manufacturers advise you to back up your disks
before returning machines for repair. HP probably have diagnostic
software that only runs under Windows, so they would have to reinstall
Windows. The question is whether it's reasonable to charge the customer
for the time taken to do that.

>It's irrelevant here as such a claim would be breach of contract under
>English law. A clause in the contract limiting the software you are
>allowed to run would be unreasonable there therefore void if the hardware
>is general consumer kit.

It's reasonable to be able to run any common operating system without
damaging the hardware. Even if installing Linux did damage the hardware
that wouldn't. IMHO, absolve HP from liability.

--
Bernard Peek
bap at shrdlu.com