[Gllug] OT Internet connection

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Mar 15 21:09:33 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 17:52 +0000, paul at ma1.se wrote:
> Christopher Hunter wrote:
>
> > Branson bought himself a company in serious trouble and doesn't realise
> > quite what he's let himself in for - the only advantage he's got (at
> > present) is that his company is a monopoly, and that most of the
> > infrastructure is already there.
>
> Perhaps why he bought it. While he courts publicity as a cut and thrust
>   entrepreneur, the Virgin Empire, (controlled from a Caribbean tax
> haven btw) is actually reliant on government subsidies. According to the
> Guardian "His real profits since 1992 have come by securing quasi
> monopolies from state regulators."

My spy in the airline industry tells me that Branson's in trouble there,
too.  Something to do with airworthiness certifications all falling due
on or around the same date!

Apparently, his airline has never made much money, and the current
increases in these bogus "green" taxes will do him more serious damage.

Chris