[Gllug] SIP conference

Caroline Ford caroline.ford.work at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 3 14:10:20 UTC 2007

Chris Jones wrote:
> Hi
>
> Richard Jones wrote:
>
>> Is there not anything simpler?  I really don't want to have to install
>> this huge, complex Asterisk server.  All I want to have happen is that
>> people "dial" to a simple little server and can then talk to each
>>

> You might be able to do something like that with a SIP proxy (such as
> SER), but realistically, conferencing is a PBX task, it's not something
> that SIP can do easily itself afaik.
>
> Skype can probably do conferencing, but it's proprietary and the client
> is very annoying.
>
> Cheers,

I'm not sure what SIP is but I can confirm that Skype can do
conferencing of up to 8 I think. Remember that Skype as well as being
proprietary is also p2p rather than client-server and can be pretty
bandwidth heavy. It sounds like you might want to look at teamspeak, a
client-server conferencing program used in online gaming. There's
another one called something like ventrino.

They may all be proprietary (and may only be windows) - these things
didn't matter when I was gaming as the game only ran under windows anyway.

Caroline
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk