[Gllug] Pop up window source reading

Andy McGarty andy at mac1systems.com
Sat Mar 24 16:58:45 UTC 2007

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 12:34:50 -0000, Justin Perreault
<justinperreault at dl-jp.com> wrote:

> Recently I had a Dialog prompt pop up that only had an OK button. The
> text read along the lines of - Just click OK to continue. There was no
> further information available and no reason that I could see for such a
> prompt to occur.
>
> I was using Firefox 1.5.0.10, on FC6. I was in the process of confirming
> a purchase on-line. I had already researched the site the lock showed up
> fine all looked okay. Until this window showed up.
>
> So I figure, it has shown up on my system there must be a way for me to
> track down where it came from and where it is going to. I have been
> trying to track down something via google but have only come up with
> articles on pop-up windows which are already blocked and Javascript
> dialogs which might be the right path but is not getting me far.
>
> I am hoping for some direction on where I can look at any files that
> might pertain to a window/prompt that has popped up. Preferably being
> able to look at things like who/what sent it and what actions the
> buttons pertain too. Being able to generate a log for such prompts would
> also be a plus.
>

> Justin

My guess is its javascript.

The function open.window can be called if you click on something, when the
contents of a field changes, when a page loads or even after a certain
amount of time.  And probably for other reasons too!

This gives its details.
http://www.javascript-coder.com/window-popup/javascript-window-open.phtml

There are various features such allowing scroll bars, showing the menu
bar, location bar etc.

So look at the source of the page that launched it for window.open and
then see the url it is calling and what parameters it is passing to that
page.  My guess is it is just a way of logging that someone has expressed
an interest or certain products have been ordered.  It is very bad form
not to give more information than just a click here!.  I can't see any
more damage clicking on it than can be caused from just opening the page
in the first place!

I can't see a way of you checking how often it is called unless you parse
every page you open for the code.

Happy hunting.

Andy