[Gllug] Weird KDE behaviour

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Tue Mar 6 22:35:17 UTC 2007

On 5 Mar 2007, Rich Walker told this:

> Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk> writes:

>>> There's a reason I still use IceWM as well, and this is it :->
>>
>> Doesn't it work as KDE's wm as well? (If it supports EWMH, it should.)
>
> Might well do, but I find avoiding the whole KDE monstrosity helps my
> life considerably.

I thought so too, but I'm hooked on konsole, akgregator, konqueror,
tellico... pretty much every gui app I use is KDE, so I might as well
save some memory by running the desktop on it as well.

(for email and news nothing will ever beat Gnus, and text editing also
stays well out of the KDE camp. ;) )

> (And the "our sound server is maintenance-dead" reminds me somehow of
> devfs...)

They picked a sound server for KDE 2 and it went maintenance-dead. In
KDE 3, when they could break the ABI, they picked another sound server
and it went maintenance-dead. Then people suggested gstreamer, which has
had two huge ABI breaks in the last three or so years and which as a
result has pretty much *no* users on my system right now (there are some
users of gstreamer-0.8 left, but everything that might want to play
music or video is using ffmpeg directly, or libxine... gstreamer is, I
quote, `just too much hassle'. Oops.)

Twice bitten... for KDE 4 they're writing a generic interface to sound
servers. :)

--
`In the future, company names will be a 32-character hex string.'
  --- Bruce Schneier on the shortage of company names