[Gllug] Calculating 'real' bandwidth

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Tue Mar 13 16:26:43 UTC 2007

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007, Dylan wrote:

> > The maximum sync rate is 8128kb/s. This however is the ATM rate and not
> > the usable rate which is about 12.5% lower at 7.1Mb - this is the maximum
> > IP rate and you then need to allow a little more overhead
>
> Am I right in assuming they are binary kb/s and Mb, rather than decimal?
> I can work out the IP overhead, and then just round it down a bit - that
> should satisfy him. He'll at least have a number in his head. Of course,
> he still doesn't quite understand that the actual speed at any moment is
> highly variable.

The 8128kb/s is kilobits per second. 7.1Mb is binary however it's not an
exact figure.

The only thing he really needs to know and understand is that MAX and
ADSL2 are rate adaptive services and that speeds *will* vary.

Jason
--
UKFSN.ORG			Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/		  up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98