[Gllug] Detecting attempts to contact another machine and actingon them

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Mon Mar 12 17:54:13 UTC 2007

Richard Cottrill wrote:
[snip]
> In essence this seems to boil down to whether or not the Slug can be
> configured as a router/proxy.

The Slug is running Debian Etch so can be configured as just about anything.

> If the Slug is a router/proxy then detect the
> attempt to contact The Big Machine (TBM) and switch it on. Otherwise go for
> a variously smart passive traffic capture techniques and then turn on TBM.

Yes, this is the basic plan.  The only question is *how* to do the
initial detection.

> <out on a limb>
> This seems to hinge on TBM starting up in a relatively sensible time
> (shorter than a TCP/application-level timeout) - which is not often my
> experience. Unless TBM starts servicing requests in a timely manner, this
> becomes a version of port knocking; which isn't bad, but I'm not sure it's
> what you had in mind in the first place.
>
> I don't doubt you have a long list of tips and tricks for cutting boot times
> to a bare minimum though :)
> </out on a limb>

I'm not too worried about the boot time.  The main thing which TBM will
be running is MythTV and I just want to be able to have external access
to MythWeb and have it start up automatically if anyone powers on the
MVP box.

John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk