[Gllug] Mailbox compacting

Chris Jones cmsj at tenshu.net
Sat Mar 31 12:03:10 UTC 2007

Hi

t.clarke wrote:
> many years we have been receving email we have never seen any messages where
> this sequence occurs within the body of a mail, so the delimiting of messages

Right, and you probably never will. Maybe nobody will, but the
possibility is there - it's an obvious deficiency that one day will bite
someone unnecessarily.

I've apparently not been emailing long enough to know of MMDF, but if it
specifies properly that the given delimiter is not allowed to occur in
the body of a mail and escapes it accordingly, then there is no more
problem.

This is the failing of mbox, it isn't a standard, so not everybody
escapes "\r\n^From " in the bodies of emails (where they do, as I said
in my earlier reply, they replace it with >From).

> MMDF allows you to define the delimiting sequence of characters, so hex 01 02 03

This is, of course, exactly how MIME works to split up the body of an
email into further parts.

Cheers,
--
Chris Jones