[Gllug] ssh problem - lots of duplicate ACKs but no shell

Tom Schutzer-Weissmann trmsw at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Mar 12 21:02:46 UTC 2007

I can't ssh to my hosting account from work using the normal "ssh" command
(OpenSSL 0.9.8), but I can using Putty.

I've looked at what happens in both cases, using wireshark, and so far haven't
spotted anything except the obvious: after authentication the whole thing
founders in "Retransmission"s and "Duplicate ACK"s.

On the server side no interesting error message appears, it just hangs.

The most interesting thing is that the largest packet sent out by putty is 120
bytes, ssh sends one that's 448 bytes long, and then things go wrong. Is
there a way I can limit the packet size to see if it's causing the problem?

Thanks for your help & patience,
TomSW