[Gllug] OT Internet connection

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Mar 14 21:45:51 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-14 at 16:42 +0100, salsaman wrote:

> Personally, I am impressed with the old US phone phreaks who learned how
> to whistle the different tones for different coin drops.

No.  What they were whistling was a "clear" tone.  The trick was to dial
a freephone number (like Army Recruiting), and before the distant end
answered, send the clear signal.  The local exchange stayed open (and
toll-free), but you could then dial whatever number you wanted through
the distant exchange.

This method worked for years, but the greedier phone abusers were
usually caught by itemised billing - who stays on the phone to Army
Recruiting for several hours a few times a week?

In my college days, we had the old payphones that were basically a coin
box with a conventional wall phone mounted above it.  The telephone
itself had a button marked "press" above the dial (which used to be used
for party lines).  It was trivial to rewire the push button to the coin
box so that each press during a call registered another 10p!

Chris