[Gllug] OT Internet connection

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 09:18:51 UTC 2007

On 14/03/07, Christopher Hunter <chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-03-14 at 11:31 +0000, Elliot Moore wrote:
>
> > Still when its up its fast and responsive and consistent, though I
> > don't want to pay for the TV service anymore, its cack.
>
> WHEN it's up is the point!  The recent breaks in service, their
> persistent problems with their mail servers, their utterly inept and
> often downright rude customer "service" and their clueless, smelly and
> invariably late "engineers"...
>
> There has been a noticeable reduction in quality of service lately, part
> of which can be attributed to the major staff upheavals lately, and the
> forthcoming price increases are just the icing on the cake!
>
> Branson bought himself a company in serious trouble and doesn't realise
> quite what he's let himself in for - the only advantage he's got (at
> present) is that his company is a monopoly, and that most of the
> infrastructure is already there.  Much of the expensive digging and
> running cables has already been done (albeit not very well).  He's going
> to come seriously unstuck when many of the other TV companies he buys
> programmes from decide to follow Sky's lead, and increase their prices.
> He's already losing huge numbers of TV customers.
>
> Chris

Never really had any problems with Telewest, except some of there
boxes are pretty bad but they have always replaced them relatively
quickly.
NTL did have a lot of bad press before the NTL/Telewest Merger and
most of the NTL staff got removed or at least trained up to telewest
standard.
Virgin has basically taken over two companys still in the progress of
merging so its probably chaos.
Cable as always been the superior technology its the old VHS vs
Betamax thing. In the recent Sky Vs Virgin argument the only loser I
can see is Sky. Cable has always been badly organized due to the way
the licensees were set up (Oh a certain Robert Maxwell had something
to do with it too).
Oh the Basic Virgin TV package is Free so long as you have a phone
line from them. So if you on Virgin Phone and don't have TV give them
a call. Its just one thing BT will never be able to do.

NOW I DON'T WORK FOR VIRGIN NORE HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THEM, I'M
JUST A HAPPY CUSTOMER. I WISH I DID CURRENTLY HOWEVER...

Peter.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk