[Gllug] Detecting attempts to contact another machine and acting on them

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Mon Mar 12 15:58:57 UTC 2007

Richard Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 02:04:02PM -0000, John Winters wrote:
>> Obviously I could write some low-level network code to do this, but I'm
>> wondering whether there are any existing utilities which could be glued
>> together to provide this functionality.
>>

> Quick and dirty approach might involve piping the ouput of tcpdump
> into a grep for WoL packets destined to the large machine?

Hmmm, yes - definitely in the QaD category though.

I have a vague recollection of seeing a HowTo in the dim and distant
past which involved setting up eth0:1 with the target machine's address
and then watching for incoming traffic.  It was intended there for
automatic failover, but I think this is fairly similar.  Can't find the
relevant document now I want it though.

John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk