[Gllug] Weird KDE behaviour

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sat Mar 3 01:57:16 UTC 2007

On 2 Mar 2007, Rich Walker uttered the following:
> Someone logs in to their KDE desktop, and I notice the load has shot
> from 15 to 200. Most of which is an almost infinite number of artsd's
> running for the guy who logged in.

This tends to happen if the sound sink is in use when kded starts up.
kded's artsd then keels over backwards, and every KDE app that wants
to play a sound then kicks off its own copy.

Yes, this sucks, but hasn't been fixed because arts is basically
maintenance-dead. (There's a reason KDE4 is moving to Phonon...)

--
`In the future, company names will be a 32-character hex string.'
  --- Bruce Schneier on the shortage of company names