[Gllug] Hardware comparisons

damion.yates at gmail.com damion.yates at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 12:30:01 UTC 2007

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007, Alain Williams wrote:

> I'm putting together a box for a customer, cost is not the primary
> concern (I'm replacing a 40K AIX box with a dual core AMD based
> box),
>
> * Mirroring. Is this best done by the kernel or through a RAID
>   controller ?

There have been loads of replies for you to judge what is best, I
would like to add one very important comment.

If you go with hardware, make sure you can monitor the state of the
RAID array.  Obviously I mean under the OS, not a guy in the suite
notices beeping/flashing red LED.  You want something as good as
the equivalent /proc/mdstat you get for software RAID, or you aren't
using RAID, you're just using a larger than normal, possibly faster
than normal virtualised disk with longer MTBF.

Damion

Damion Yates - damion.yates at gmail.com