[Gllug] Getting Debian Etch to run on an old (EPIA 800) Mini-ITX

Rich Walker rw at shadowrobot.com
Mon Mar 5 10:34:07 UTC 2007

John Winters <john at sinodun.org.uk> writes:

> Sorry to revive an old thread.  This is about trying to install Etch on a Mini-ITX box which
> netboots Sarge perfectly happily and reliably.

I just installed Etch on a Mini-ITX box via PXE and the netboot
installer.

> I've now tried using one of the daily snapshots and the result is even worse.  Where the
> rc1-installer-installed system would get as far as "Waiting for /dev to be populated" and then
> re-boot, the new system only gets 2 lines in "Uncompressing kernel" and then it re-boots.

I have seen that in the past from machines, where it was one of:

* bad network hardware - is the motherboard properly earthed?

* bad RAM

* the wrong kernel version.

> It's weird.  The installer runs perfectly and the installation completes, but then the installed
> system fails to boot.

Ah - that's "the wrong kernel version". You *need* a 486 kernel.

> Anyone any further ideas about why Debian Etch won't run on a Mini-ITX
> (EPIA-800) box?

Works For Me :->

cheers, Rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk