[Gllug] Vodafone 3G Cards

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Mar 5 18:26:53 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-05 at 15:10 +0000, Stephen Nelson-Smith wrote:

> I'll be using it mostly on the train between Hampshire and London.  I
> am wondering if I am likely to get UMTS / 3G+ coverage very often,
> such that fiddling with the newer card may not be worth the hassle.

I tried a 3G+ card for about half an hour and got nowhere with it.

The 3G card I use works every time.  However, you're going to be very
disappointed with the service from a moving train.  The received signal
strength needs to be high and consistent for it to achieve useful data
rates.  My experience is that the card will maintain the connection, but
there are considerable periods when the service is unusable.

Chris