[Gllug] top-like command for disk io ?

Russell Howe rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Mon Mar 19 22:46:04 UTC 2007

On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 10:12:14PM +0000, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> John Hearns wrote:
> >
> >I was going to open my mouth and ask if XFS would not be a better choice
> >for video applications.
> >Looks as if the "guaranteed rate I/O" stuff is available, but not for free:
> >http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi/0650/bks/SGI_Admin/books/GRIO2_AG/sgi_html/ch01.html
>
> I believe that realtime subvolume supportis now in the standard kernel
> source tree, and is freely available:-
>
> http://oss.sgi.com/archives/xfs/2005-10/msg00025.html
>
> *Full* GRIO with hard guarantees is not implemented, but that requires
> hardware support anyway.

Not only hardware support - it requires bandwidth reservation all the
way down the IO stack from the filesystem to the device.

Linux doesn't have this, but it does have I/O schedulers, which can
probably do a good enough job, given a sensible filesystem and storage
layout.

As for reducing disk accesses on a laptop, be sure to make sure that the
kernel has detected "laptop mode" and that you're doing things like
mounting with noatime.