[Gllug] Calculating 'real' bandwidth

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Tue Mar 13 14:39:09 UTC 2007

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007, Dylan wrote:

> A friend of mine wants to know what the maximum useful bandwidth of his
> 8meg ADSL line should be. I've explained that it's a theoretical maximum
> including transport overheads, and that the 8meg figure is decimal. But
> I can't for the life of me work out what that should equate to in the
> binary kilobits or kilobytes speed reported by his network monitoring
> app, taking in to account the overheads.

The maximum sync rate is 8128kb/s. This however is the ATM rate and not
the usable rate which is about 12.5% lower at 7.1Mb - this is the maximum
IP rate and you then need to allow a little more overhead for specific
protocols being used before you can get an accurate maximum data
throughput rate and that is dependant upon which protocol.

Jason
--
UKFSN.ORG			Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/		  up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98